Valerie Orozco

I'm a white looking Mexican who loves Chinese food. ^.^

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Alternative Rock


Alternative Rock

I was listening to K-Rock one morning while getting ready for school as I always do. At one point throughout the music, Kevin and Bean bring on a live  listener to request a song. Well, the funniest thing happened, the listener was a 15-year-old requesting a Justin Bieber song because they did not play any. LMAO. She had me dying of laughter. Like, no duh, they did not play Justin Bieber, it’s a rock station. Then it got me thinking; did she really not know what type of station it was? Did anybody know what kind of music they played?

It later donned on me that the teenage generation of today do not listen to Alternative rock from the 90’s. I know a few still do, including myself. It is just sad to know that alternative rock has died out throughout the years. It has constantly been mistaken for Pop, and Indie rock. Personally i feel like punk rock did not get big until the 2000’s era transitioning into Pop rock. Afterward came Indie rock; a mix of folk instruments with an upbeat electric melody. 

Is the era of alternative rock really over? Was it because our infamous band Nirvana ended before they had a chance to really start? My first real favorite song was ‘creep’ by Radiohead, and I thank them for opening my eyes to the best music that has lots of meaning in this world. Slowly, I have been leaning towards Indie rock due to the famous band Imagine Dragons who I have seen in concert. Amazing music, but the grunge era will not let me slip away. Grunge is so my thing, and I would not change it for the world, but how long will I be able to pull it off? The Grunge era is way over and they are only a few real alternative rock veterans who will forever have the passion for the music, just like me. Don’t give up my fellow listeners, our time will come again to thrive as a rock unit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment